[Haskell-cafe] Question on Coerce

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 20:26:27 UTC 2020

Coincidentally, I've been thinking about (a small part of) this issue for a
day or two. I think it would probably be pretty easy to add a language
feature that basically brought what the compiler does up to the Haskell
level. Imagine a sort of *generalized* as-pattern:

f x@@(Right y) = ...

`x` here is not bound to the actual argument; instead, it is bound to
`Right y`. The type of `x` will either be inferred or given explicitly:

f (x :: ...)@@(Right y) = ...

How can this translate to Core? Roughly speaking, it would look like

f _x = case _x of
  Left p -> ...
  Right y ->
    let x = unsafeCoerce _x
    in ...

But `x` would be given the unfolding `Right y`.

For existentials and GADTs, the type checking and Core translation needs
some extras. In particular, the dictionary arguments need to be included to
ensure the coercion is valid. Just make sure they match. The special ~ and
Coercible constraints don't need to be included in that check, but it must
be possible to produce coercions with the appropriate types.