[Haskell-cafe] contribute to GHC by adding documentation

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Mon Aug 31 19:50:20 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Occasionally I get emails asking how a newcomer can best contribute to GHC. I have some stock answers (find a feature in Haskell and implement it in Template Haskell; find an unimplemented proposal and implement it), but these sometimes don't work out. Wait no longer! If you'd like to contribute to GHC, there is a great chance in https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues/18633, which links to a file listing scores of undocumented compiler flags.

Your task, if you choose to accept it: document these flags! Along the way, you will get to learn about various dark corners of GHC (and who doesn't love to lurk in dark corners?) and prod other GHC folks to produce answers to esoteric questions. Hours of fun to be had here! And along the way, you would do us all a wonderful service.

Thanks,
Richard