[Haskell-cafe] Windows Haskell CI

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Apr 29 21:43:12 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am Montag, den 27.04.2020, 14:57 +0200 schrieb Francesco Ariis:
> Recently I was contacted by a user of a small script of mine [1].
> He downloaded the (x86_64) binary and used it on Windows (10?) via
> «Windows Subsystem of Linux».
>
>      $ uname -a
>      Linux DESKTOP-AHPUUO5 4.4.0-18362-Microsoft #476-Microsoft Fri Nov 01
>      16:53:00 PST 2019 x86_64 x86_64
>      x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I found this fantastic as I loathe dealing with Wine of Virtual Machines
> to provide Win users with a binary.

for my tttool project, I have long used wine to make the Windows
release, but lately I have switch to cross compilation via nix. It took
some experimentation to set up, but now I can produce a single release
zip file that works on Windows, Linux and OSX, all on fairly standard
CI (Travis, but Github Actions would also work):

https://travis-ci.org/github/entropia/tip-toi-reveng
https://github.com/entropia/tip-toi-reveng/blob/master/.travis.yml
https://github.com/entropia/tip-toi-reveng/tree/master/nix

Happy to explain more if people have questions.

It doesn't help for people who want to develop _on_ windows, but at
least releasing _for_ windows is prettty painless this way.

Cheers,
Joachim

--
Joachim Breitner