[Haskell-cafe] Please repair Hugs-for-Windows download links

Anthony Clayden anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz
Wed Apr 29 05:58:04 UTC 2020

Hi Vanessa, Thorkil,

Yes I'm afraid Hugs is unmaintained. If you look at that Hugs-Bugs thread,
Neil was kind enough to reply, but it seems everyone is locked out of
maintaining the site.

> Isn’t hugs unmaintained? Cool stuff but definitely vintage!

(Nearly) gone, but not forgotten. There's a few people over the years

have built from source, there's a few repos on github.

With a bit of time on my hands lately ...

I've built the wonderful WinHugs from source,

so that I can fix a long-standing bit of bogusness in GHC.

(GHC's behaviour is just not worth trying to make sense of.)

And ref the discussion of GHC's awkwardness wrt Windows,

WinHugs is just so nicely Windows-y, with a few-clicks install.

Persuading (Win)Hugs to compile wasn't plain sailing,

and there's a few of the libraries/packages have bitrotted beyond repair.

But it is sooooo worth it, compared to the ugly GHC experience;

plus you get a half-decent records system with Trex.

(I've just been adding field label puns to it, to catch up with GHC.)

AntC

*> >* Dear Cafe,
*> >* Having recently had occasion to suggest the use of Hugs, I found that the
*>* links provided for WinHugs and MinHugs on
*> >*  https://www.haskell.org/hugs/pages/downloading.htm
<https://www.haskell.org/hugs/pages/downloading.htm>
*> >* are broken. In the discussion "When did it become so hard to install
*>* Haskell on Windows?"
*> >*  https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2020-April/132129.html
<https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2020-April/132129.html>
*> >* Anthony Clayden
*> >*  https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2020-April/132155.html
<https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2020-April/132155.html>
*> >* referred to
*> >*  https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/hugs-bugs/2018-July/001914.html
<https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/hugs-bugs/2018-July/001914.html>
*> >* which provides working links:
*> >*  https://www.haskell.org/hugs/downloads/2006-09/WinHugs-Sep2006.exe
<https://www.haskell.org/hugs/downloads/2006-09/WinHugs-Sep2006.exe>
*>*  https://www.haskell.org/hugs/downloads/2006-09/MinHugs-Sep2006.exe
<https://www.haskell.org/hugs/downloads/2006-09/MinHugs-Sep2006.exe>
*> >* If someone with suitable access repaired these links, I would be very
*>* grateful. I am an occasional user of both GHC and Hugs, and although GHC
*>* shines when it comes to efficiency, I also often appreciate the modest
*>* and simple Hugs.
*> >* Thanks very much in advance.
*> >* Best regards
*>* Thorkil