[Haskell-cafe] When did it become so hard to install Haskell onWindows?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue Apr 28 12:59:33 UTC 2020

Am 27.04.20 um 19:32 schrieb Ben Franksen:
> Am 27.04.20 um 17:34 schrieb Joachim Durchholz:
>> Am 27.04.20 um 12:55 schrieb Ben Franksen:
>>> This very much differs from how I view the /result/ of the work: here I
>>> regard everything that has not been done in a clean and orderly fashion
>>> as deficient. (And that goes for software, too, especially if it is
>>> mature.)
>>
>> Sure, but how do you judge that work if you're not an expert?
>> With old-style cars, you could inspect the machinery, even if you
>> weren't fully educated you could see if there was grime in the gears or
>> not. With today's cars and their electronics, and today's
>> millions-of-lines software, that kind of check has become impossible.
>
> Which is why I dislike modern cars. If I ever happen to buy another one
> in my lifetime it will be an oldtimer.

And that's the rub: you won't get a silent, safer, low-emission car,
you'll be stuck with louder, unsafe, high-emission choices.
And building and maintaining a car that has all of these things and
still isn't beyond the pay grade of most people is simply beyond what a
grubby mechanic could do, or a layman could understand. Too complicated,
too complex.

I agree that much of the non-repairability modern cars is just lock-in,
not by necessity.
That's where the analogy breaks down: some things in software are too
complicated for the casual user by necessity.
Though... it's not that much of a break-down actually: Some OS vendors
are indeed known for their persistent attempts to lock their users in,
and making stuff needlessly complicated to that end.