[Haskell-cafe] Windows Haskell CI

Francesco Ariis fa-ml at ariis.it
Mon Apr 27 12:57:49 UTC 2020

Hello Ben,
    I have a daring (and probably) proposal.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 02:38:40PM +0200, Ben Franksen wrote:
> Like ghc itself, we (the Darcs team) also have trouble providing
> adequate support for Windows. I personally haven't (seriously) used
> Windows for decades. So I thought we could at least do some automated
> building and testing for Windows on some CI system, perhaps even
> automatically build Windows binaries.

Recently I was contacted by a user of a small script of mine [1].
He downloaded the (x86_64) binary and used it on Windows (10?) via
«Windows Subsystem of Linux».

     $ uname -a
     Linux DESKTOP-AHPUUO5 4.4.0-18362-Microsoft #476-Microsoft Fri Nov 01
     16:53:00 PST 2019 x86_64 x86_64
     x86_64 GNU/Linux

I found this fantastic as I loathe dealing with Wine of Virtual Machines
to provide Win users with a binary.

I have not touched Windows since XP, but how feasible is it to call it
a day and tell Win users: «From now on, Darcs will be available on
Windows via WSL»?
-F

[1] https://hackage.haskell.org/package/gscholar-rss