[Haskell-cafe] how can we fix our license?

Daniel Gröber dxld at darkboxed.org
Mon Apr 27 11:30:54 UTC 2020

Hi Ben,

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 12:32:19PM +0200, Ben Franksen wrote:
> If I specify "cabal-version: 2.2" I get:
>
> >cabal build --enable-tests --disable-optimization
> --with-compiler=/opt/ghc/8.0.2/bin/ghc
> [...]
> setup: This package description follows version 2.2 of the Cabal
> specification. This tool only supports up to version 1.24.2.0.

Ah yeah, but see that's because you're running cabal-install 1.24. Like I
said you need a more recent cabal-install but cabal-install-2.2 or 2.4
should build just fine even with ghc-8.0 so that's not really a problem for
users usually.

> The warning is okay, I get that in any case, but the last line is an
> error.

So this is in fact an error then, right? Cabal doesn't just try to carry on
with a .cabal file it can't parse properly, since that would be very
surprising.

> The problem here seems to be that we have a custom Setup.hs.

I don't think that's related. The problem is that the cabal-install version
is the upper bound for the `cabal-version:` you can build with it. If you
want to build a package with cabal-version:2.2 you need at least
cabal-install-2.2.*.

--Daniel