[Haskell-cafe] Call for participation: Utrecht AFP Summer School

Wouter Swierstra w.s.swierstra at uu.nl
Mon Apr 6 07:47:37 UTC 2020

           SUMMER SCHOOL ON ADVANCED FUNCTIONAL PROGRAMMING

              Utrecht, the Netherlands, 06-10 July 2020

                        http://www.afp.school

# Call for Participation

## About

The Advanced Functional Programming summer school has been running for
more than ten years. We aim to educate aspiring Haskell programmers
beyond the basic material covered by many textbooks.

We have decided to advertise the Summer School and accept new
registrations for the moment, but we are monitoring the situation with
COVID-19 carefully. All the Utrecht Summer Schools offer participants
a full refund of their registration fee if they decide to cancel their
registration.

The lectures will cover several more advanced topics regarding the
theory and practice of Haskell programming, including topics such as:

  * lambda calculus;
  * monads and monad transformers;
  * lazy evaluation;
  * generalized algebraic data types;
  * type families and type-level programming;
  * concurrency and parallelism.

The summer school consists of a mix of lectures, labs, and a busy
social program.

## Lecturers

Utrecht staff:
* Gabriele Keller
* Trevor McDonell
* Wouter Swierstra

## Prerequisites

We expect students to have a basic familiarity with Haskell
already. You should be able to write recursive functions over
algebraic data types, such as lists and trees. There is a great deal
of material readily available that covers this material. If you've
already started learning Haskell and are looking to take your
functional programming skills to the next level, this is the course
for you.

Soft registration deadline: 1 July, 2020
School: 06-10 July, 2020

## Costs

  1700 euro - Housing and registration
  1500 euro - Registration only

We offer a 1000 discount for students and staff members affiliated with
a university or other non-profit organization.

## Scholarships

If you're struggling to finance your trip to Utrecht, please let us
know. We have a very limited number of scholarships or discounts
available for students that would not be able to attend otherwise,
especially for women and under-represented minorities.

## Further information

Further information, including instructions on how to register, is
available on our website:

  http://www.afp.school