[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.8.1 is now available

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Wed Oct 30 23:00:47 UTC 2019

Dan Burton <danburton.email at gmail.com> writes:

> My questions at this point are:
>
> * What are the reasons that hackage-server must be upgraded to Cabal 3?

I'll leave this to Herbert as I am also not clear on this point. None of
the 8.8.1 boot packages should be relying on Cabal 3 syntax in their
.cabal files so I'm not sure what specifically gives rise to this
dependency.

> * What are the reasons that make this upgrade difficult?

Cabal 3 does change quite a bit. In response to the number of requests
to get this un-stuck I put in some work [1] this week and last to start
the upgrade. Indeed the process is non-trivial and requires touching a
lot of code.

Nearly all of this churn is due to the removal of the Text typeclass in
favor of the Parsec and Pretty typeclasses. These changes are generally
quite mechanical but do take time.

> * Can publishing to hackage be considered a proper part of the ghc release
> process in the future?

I am quite willing to handle the uploads as part of the release process
if this is the direction we decide to take.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://github.com/bgamari/hackage-server/tree/cabal-3