[Haskell-cafe] Optional "Default" instances of classes in certain subcases (but too broad)

Alexis King lexi.lambda at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 01:21:22 UTC 2019

Hello,

The recent DerivingVia language extension is, in many ways, designed to accommodate the use cases you describe. Instead of defining “optional” instances, you attach instances to a relevant newtype, then use that newtype with DerivingVia to reuse instances.

So, for example, you could define a WrappedBifunctor newtype:

newtype WrappedBifunctor f a b = WrappedBifunctor { unWrappedBifunctor :: f a b }
  deriving newtype (Bifunctor)

…then declare the following instance:

instance Bifunctor f => Functor (WrappedBifunctor f a) where
  fmap = bimap id

Then if you have a type with an explicit Bifunctor instance, you can write:

data F a b = ...
  deriving (Functor) via WrappedBifunctor F

…or, with StandaloneDeriving:

deriving via (WrappedBifunctor F) instance Functor (F a)

Does that accommodate the use cases you’re looking for?

Alexis