[Haskell-cafe] Informal modelling and simulation of protocols

P Orrifolius porrifolius at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 01:04:38 UTC 2019

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 06:00, Carter Schonwald
<carter.schonwald at gmail.com> wrote:

> TLA plus might suit you! I've actually had some success going back and forth between copattern style code and TLA specs, its not easy and not perfect, but it works
>
> i've been slowly experimenting with modelling protocols as coinductive / copattern style trick
> https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/4aju8f/simple_example_of_emulating_copattern_matching_in/ is a small toy exposition i did
>
> i am messing around with some reusable abstractions, though its definitely a challenging problem

I will be honest and confess that I can't get my head around it.  Not
your fault though! :)

I think I have a basic understanding of
co-(recursion|induction|patterns) so, at a lay-person's level of
understanding, can I conceptually think of these things as streams
very similar to, for example, those processed by the Monadic Stream
Functions that Ivan Perez mentions in another email?
And then there is some additional analytical or performance
advantages, maybe especially in cases of infinite streams, achieved by
representing them in this manner?

I think I'll need to study up to really appreciate it but, at the very
least, I'm thankful for the link to your post as your reference to the
machines library led me off down an interesting research rabbit-hole.
:)
Thanks!