[Haskell-cafe] HiW'19: Call for Talks

Niki Vazou nikivazou at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 09:15:28 UTC 2019

Hey all,

Haskell Implementors Workshop is calling for talk proposals. Co-located
with ICFP it  is an ideal place to describe a Haskell library, a Haskell
extension, works-in-progress, demo a new Haskell-related tool, or even
propose future lines of Haskell development. Deadline is June 28th.

Call for Talks

The 11th Haskell Implementors’ Workshop is to be held alongside ICFP 2019
this year in Berlin. It is a forum for people involved in the design and
development of Haskell implementations, tools, libraries, and supporting
infrastructure, to share their work and discuss future directions and
collaborations with others.

Talks and/or demos are proposed by submitting an abstract, and selected by
a small program committee. There will be no published proceedings. The
workshop will be informal and interactive, with open spaces in the
timetable and room for ad-hoc discussion, demos and lightning talks.
Scope and Target Audience

It is important to distinguish the Haskell Implementors’ Workshop from the
Haskell Symposium which is also co-located with ICFP 2019. The Haskell
Symposium is for the publication of Haskell-related research. In contrast,
the Haskell Implementors’ Workshop will have no proceedings – although we
will aim to make talk videos, slides and presented data available with the
consent of the speakers.

The Implementors’ Workshop is an ideal place to describe a Haskell
extension, describe works-in-progress, demo a new Haskell-related tool, or
even propose future lines of Haskell development. Members of the wider
Haskell community encouraged to attend the workshop – we need your feedback
to keep the Haskell ecosystem thriving. Students working with Haskell are
specially encouraged to share their work.

The scope covers any of the following topics. There may be some topics that
people feel we’ve missed, so by all means submit a proposal even if it
doesn’t fit exactly into one of these buckets:

   - Compilation techniques
   - Language features and extensions
   - Type system implementation
   - Concurrency and parallelism: language design and implementation
   - Performance, optimization and benchmarking
   - Virtual machines and run-time systems
   - Libraries and tools for development or deployment

Talks

We invite proposals from potential speakers for talks and demonstrations.
We are aiming for 20-minute talks with 5 minutes for questions and
changeovers. We want to hear from people writing compilers, tools, or
libraries, people with cool ideas for directions in which we should take
the platform, proposals for new features to be implemented, and half-baked
crazy ideas. Please submit a talk title and abstract of no more than 300
words.

Submissions can be made via HotCRP at https://icfp-hiw19.hotcrp.com/ until
June 28th (anywhere on earth).

We will also have lightning talks session. These have been very well
received in recent years, and we aim to increase the time available to
them. Lightning talks be ~7mins and are scheduled on the day of the
workshop. Suggested topics for lightning talks are to present a single
idea, a work-in-progress project, a problem to intrigue and perplex Haskell
implementors, or simply to ask for feedback and collaborators.
Invited Speakers

   - Lennart Augustsson & Satnam Singh

Program Committee

   - Jose Calderon (Galois, Inc)
   - Jasper Van der Jeugt (Fugue)
   - Niki Vazou (IMDEA Software Institute)
   - Ningning Xie (The University of Hong King)
   - Brent Yorgey (Hendrix College)

Best,

Niki Vazou