[Haskell-cafe] Consider operator fixity when deriving Show or Read

Doaitse Swierstra doaitse at swierstra.net
Sun Jan 6 13:34:18 UTC 2019

The current GHC implementation constructs Read instances out of other Read instances. In order to make this work some restictions are necessary. Given that a top-down paring strategy is used we cannot easily construct parsers for left-recursive data types.  To cope with this problem, and to make sure that at least Read instances can read data written by Show instances, data is written out by Show instances with a sufficjently large number of parentheses. Unfortunately this may make reading data back extremely show.

A solution for this problem is described in out Haskell 2008 Workshop paper:

@inproceedings{1411296,
	Address = {New York, NY, USA},
	Author = {Viera, Marcos and Swierstra, S. Doaitse and Lempsink, Eelco},
	Booktitle = {Haskell Symposium},
	Date-Added = {2009-06-06 22:24:07 +0200},
	Date-Modified = {2009-06-06 22:24:07 +0200},
	Doi = {http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1411286.1411296},
	Isbn = {978-1-60558-064-7},
	Location = {Victoria, BC, Canada},
	Pages = {63--74},
	Publisher = {ACM},
	Read = {Yes},
	Title = {Haskell, do you read me?: constructing and composing efficient top-down parsers at runtime},
	Year = {2008},
}}

which I am attaching.

Unfortunately the solution to solve all problems is rather involved.

The code you can find in the package ChristmasTree:

"ChristmasTree (Changing Haskell's Read Implementation Such That by Manipulating ASTs it Reads Expressions Efficiently) is an alternative approach of read that composes grammars instead of parsers. It reads data in linear time, while the function read has an exponential behavior in some cases of data types with infix operators.”

Hope this helps answering your question,
 Doaitse