[Haskell-cafe] Ord methods too strict?

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 18:31:02 UTC 2019

Am Fr., 4. Jan. 2019 um 18:24 Uhr schrieb Viktor Dukhovni <
ietf-dane at dukhovni.org>:

> [...] In the case of a lazy function ignoring its argument, no space is
> leaked
> unless that argument is retained elsewhere, and the function was the sole
> means of forcing the value.

This is the scenario I had in mind, but obviously I didn't explain that
terribly well... :-}  Personally, I think this is not so uncommon, at least
in the initial stages of writing a library or program.

> [...] Space leaks require ever deeper chains of unevaluated thunks. [...]

Perhaps we have different definitions of  "space leak" (is there an
"official" one?), but keeping a single thunk alive for a long time, which
in turn keeps some huge data structure alive is a kind of leak, too, no
deep chains involved. Maybe there is a better term describing this
situation.