[Haskell-cafe] Ord methods too strict?

Isaac Elliott isaace71295 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 10:29:51 UTC 2019

One of the relationships implied by the Ord typeclass is:

a <= b = True  iff  compare a b = EQ \/ compare a b = LT

If we write an alternative definition of (<=) that is only strict in its
first argument:

False <= _ = True
True <= x = x

Then it's impossible to write `compare` in a way that's consistent with
that relation.

More concretely, it's likely that Ord Bool is defined via `compare`, which
is necessarily strict in both arguments.