[Haskell-cafe] Ord methods too strict?

V.Liepelt V.Liepelt at kent.ac.uk
Wed Jan 2 12:34:58 UTC 2019

False <= _ = True
_ <= y = y

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking (in fact this is how I hit this in the first place—I was using `(<=)` as a quick and dirty logical implication operator and was surprised to hit `undefined` even though the precondition was False!)

Note that even with this definition, "undefined <= True = undefined" so strictness is now not symmetric.

Isn’t “asymmetry” the whole point of laziness? Consider `(||)`.

Note "fromEnum" here is zero cost, and there is no branch. Checking the left hand branch for false first would require a branch that would possibly hit performance. This probably isn't worth slowing down this function just so it's lazy in it's right argument (but as a gotcha now, still strict in it's left argument).

Yes, comparison on constants may happen to be faster on a concrete architecture. Thanks, I hadn’t considered this. However this assumes that both arguments are already evaluated, which of course will require branching unless you happen to know the second argument at compile time, for which case we might want to have a rewrite rule for the more efficient implementation. But it feels wrong to make architectural considerations leak into the standard library when this isn’t really necessary.