[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] stdio-0.1.0.0 - A simple and high performance IO toolkit for Haskell

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sat Feb 16 14:30:17 UTC 2019

Am 16.02.19 um 13:23 schrieb 寒东:
> Some unicode processing such as normalization and casefolding is also provide, based on a C unicode libraryutf8rewind  <https://bitbucket.org/knight666/utf8rewind>.

FWIW the rest looks fine, but committing to a specific UTF-8
implementation is risky. Unicode is a large and complicated standard,
and constantly evolving; I am sceptical that a one-man library like
utf8rewind can keep up with that, and I'd wrap a mature Unicode library
(such as ICU) rather than place my bet on a one-man show like utf8rewind.

In particular, I'd avoid utf8rewind because the author believes that
deviating from a standard improves security.
(See his comment in
https://bitbucket.org/knight666/utf8rewind/issues/8/length-function-should-not-use-strlen
.)
I do not think that's a well-considered policy, and certainly does not
make me think that his code is well-audited. Including such a thing in
such a basic library as stdio seems unwise to me.

> To make our package more useful, we rebuild Builder and Parser type from groud, add TCP socket and filesystem support, so that user can start using it to do some simple task, such as parsing a CSV file or starting a TCP server and communicate in protocols. We also provide high performance timer and logger module, which is useful in practical engineering tasks.

You should split the library, into stuff that does fast byte shoving,
and into stuff that does fast byte processing.
That way, things can start to improve and evolve independently.

> For installation guide and examples, please see the project's README. As we (I and Tao He) both are not native english speakers, the document quality is not as satisfying as it can be, please help!

Judging from this message, your English seems pretty good actually :-)

Regards,
Jo