[Haskell-cafe] "Deep" Coding Support in Haskell

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sat Dec 7 10:37:33 UTC 2019

Am 06.12.19 um 21:12 schrieb Niklas Hambüchen:
> All attempts to build a successful and economically viable IDE for Haskell, on any platform, seem to have failed so far. Making a good IDE takes years of work, people expect all developer tooling to be open-source (which is a good thing, but extremely few people seem to want to contribute monetarily then), and so things in this space are are moving slowly, driven by people's free time contributions, as they did 8 years ago when I started with Haskell.

I see that Alan Zimmerman maintains an LSP server (haskell-ide-engine).
LSP is supported by most if not all modern IDEs.
See https://microsoft.github.io/language-server-protocol/

Disclaimer: I have no idea how stable, complete, or practically useful
this all is. I'd expect the LSP support in modern IDEs to be pretty
complete but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a bad surprise there,
and I have no idea what haskell-ide-engien covers.

Regards,
Jo