[Haskell-cafe] A faithful strictly-accumulating writer

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 02:11:43 UTC 2019

It's widely known that the classic WriterT tends to leak space, and that in
some cases this leak can be resolved by using StateT instead. The
implementations I've seen of this idea both use the module system to
prevent the computation from gaining unauthorized access to the state. I
believe I've found a way to avoid this. Does this look right?

{-# language RankNTypes, FlexibleInstances, MultiParamTypeClasses #-}

import qualified Control.Monad.Writer.Class as W
import Control.Monad.State.Strict
import Control.Monad.Reader
import Control.Applicative

-- The key idea is that the computation
-- can't inspect the state because it doesn't know the type
newtype WriterT w m a = WriterT
  { unWriterT :: forall s. ReaderT ((w -> w) -> s -> s) (StateT s m) a }

runWriterT :: Monoid w => WriterT w m a -> m (a, w)
runWriterT m = runStateT (runReaderT (unWriterT m) id) mempty

instance Functor m => Functor (WriterT w m) where
  fmap f m = WriterT $ fmap f (unWriterT m)

instance Monad m => Applicative (WriterT w m) where
  pure a = WriterT (pure a)
  liftA2 f m n = WriterT $ liftA2 f (unWriterT m) (unWriterT n)

instance Monad m => Monad (WriterT w m) where
  m >>= f = WriterT $ unWriterT m >>= unWriterT . f

instance MonadTrans (WriterT w) where
  lift m = WriterT $ lift . lift $ m

tell :: (Monad m, Semigroup w) => w -> WriterT w m ()
tell w = WriterT $ do
    p <- ask
    modify' $ p (<> w)

pass :: Monad m => WriterT w m (a, w -> w) -> WriterT w m a
pass m = WriterT $ do
  p <- ask
  (a, ww) <- unWriterT m
  modify' (p ww)
  pure a

instance (Monoid w, Monad m) => W.MonadWriter w (WriterT w m) where
  tell = tell

  listen m = do
    aw@(_a, w) <- lift $ runWriterT m
    tell w