[Haskell-cafe] GHC: Policy on -O flags?

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 16:17:38 UTC 2019

`-O2` is not a very rationally considered flag from what I understand.
It only enables `-fspec-constr` and `-fliberate-case`. The later also
triggers another simplification pass.

`-fspec-constr` is quite limited as it only works in the definition
module. I have never trusted it to optimise my code.

I have seen `-fliberate-case` achieve something but more often the
improvement comes from the extra simplification pass.

Therefore I wouldn't try to read the tea leaves too closely. There are
probably flags in `-O` which affect compile time more but have less
benefit.

Matt