[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.8.1 is now available
ben at well-typed.com
Mon Aug 26 09:25:12 UTC 2019
The GHC team is pleased to announce the release candidate for GHC 8.8.1.
The source distribution, binary distributions, and documentation are
This release is the culmination of over 3000 commits by over one hundred
contributors and has several new features and numerous bug fixes
relative to GHC 8.6:
* Visible kind applications are now supported (GHC Proposal #15)
* Profiling now works correctly on 64-bit Windows (although still may
be problematic on 32-bit Windows due to platform limitations; see
* A new code layout algorithm for amd64's native code generator
significantly improving the runtime performance of some kernels
* The introduction of a late lambda-lifting pass which may reduce
allocations significantly for some programs.
* Further work on Trees That Grow, enabling improved code re-use of the
Haskell AST in tooling
* Users can write `forall` in more contexts (GHC Proposal #7)
* The pattern-match checker is now more precise in the presence of
strict fields with uninhabited types.
* A comprehensive audit of GHC's memory ordering barriers has been
performed, resulting in a number of fixes that should significantly
improve the reliability of programs on architectures with
weakly-ordered memory models (e.g. PowerPC, many ARM and AArch64
* A long-standing linker limitation rendering GHCi unusable with
projects with cyclic symbol dependencies has been fixed (#13786)
* Further work on the Hadrian build system
* Countless miscellaneous bug-fixes
Unfortunately, due to a build issue (#17108) found late in the release process
i386 Windows builds are currently unavailable. These will be provided in
the coming weeks.
As always, if anything looks amiss do let us know.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 487 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Haskell-Cafe