[Haskell-cafe] Optimizations for list comprehension

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 21 15:47:58 UTC 2019

I think what is happening is that

  *   In “inside” there are two distinct lists [0..n-1], each used once; they are fused with their consumers.
  *   In “outside” there is one list [0..n-1], which is used twice.  GHC is paranoid about duplicating work (and would be right to do so if producing the list was expensive), so it does not fuse the list with its two consumers.

In this case GHC’s paranoia is not justified.  It’d be better to duplicate the production of [0..n-1] so that it can fuse with its consumers.

One way to address this problem might be “cheapBuild”.   There’s a ticket about this: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/issues/7206.   I see that a year ago the TL;DR was “Conclusion: let's do it. Ensuring that a Note gives a clear explanation, and points to this ticket.”   But no one yet has.

Maybe someone might see if the cheapBuild idea really does solve this particular case.

Simon