[Haskell-cafe] Ambiguous types

Jaro Reinders jaro.reinders at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 12:59:43 UTC 2019

Another issue with not providing a type signature on internal types is
that the code can literally change meaning. In this case we can change
the meaning of your code by simply adding a type signature:

chkDup ns = fst $ foldr f (False,mempty :: (Semigroup a, Num a, Eq a) =>
Maybe a) ns
  where
    f _ res@(True,_) = res
    f v res@(_,vs) = if v==0 then (False, vs) else (elem v vs, pure v <> vs)

Now the code doesn't do what you want anymore. How should GHC be able to
infer the types if an expression can have two different types that have
different meanings?