[Haskell-cafe] Why are && and || right-associative?

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Apr 13 02:28:07 UTC 2019

> I think Brandon's point is that short-circuiting is in fact an example of
> lazy evaluation, regardless of the language being otherwise strict.

Sure, call it "short-circuiting", my comment stays the same:
in which way is it related to *associativity*?

In terms of semantics, all three (++), (||), and (&&) are associative
AFAICT, so the choice of which associativity to use in the syntax is not
related to the semantics (instead it's likely related to secondary
concerns like efficiency).

        Stefan