[Haskell-cafe] Possible ghc bug

Michel Haber michelhaber1994 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 14:54:07 UTC 2019

Hello Sylvain, and thanks again :)

When adding the forall I can compile the code without a problem.

For the types b1 b2 b3, they are of course not what I want (b must be
unique in the context of the question).
But the type for the function with b1, b2 and b3 is what I got when I did
not give a type signature to the compiler/interpreter (which is
understandable since it has no reason to assume they would be one and the
same).

I will try the Functional dependency (though I haven't learned about this
yet).

But the main question remains:

"add x y = wrap $ unwrap x + unwrap y" can be compiled/interpreted, and
when I ask about its type, the answer is:
":t add"
"add :: (Num a, Newtype a b1, Newtype a b2, Newtype a b3) => b2 -> b3 -> b1"

Then when I add that same type signature, like so:
"add :: (Num a, Newtype a b1, Newtype a b2, Newtype a b3) => b2 -> b3 -> b1
 add x y = wrap $ unwrap x + unwrap y"
the compiler refuses it for ambiguity reasons.

So the question is: How come the compiler does not accept its own type
signature? Why had it not refused to compile even without one, and only
upon specification of said signature did the compilation break?

Regards,
Michel :)