[Haskell-cafe] clonetype

Levent Erkok erkokl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 20:42:54 UTC 2018

If you're OK with a little template Haskell and standalone-deriving, then
you can use the trick discussed here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45113205/is-there-a-way-to-shorten-this-deriving-clause

Here's a concrete implementation in my case:

  https://github.com/LeventErkok/sbv/blob/master/Data/SBV.hs#L407-L420

And a use-case:

https://github.com/LeventErkok/sbv/blob/master/Documentation/SBV/Examples/Queries/Enums.hs#L23-L27

Without that trick, the line would've looked like almost like what you had
to write with `Count`.

I've used this trick for quite some time now, and it's both cheap and quite
effective. I agree that a directly supported `deriving` syntax would be
nicer, but TH fits the bill well here.

-Levent.