[Haskell-cafe] Algebraic Effects?

Lana Black lanablack at amok.cc
Thu Sep 20 14:29:02 UTC 2018

On 9/18/18 6:06 AM, Alexis King wrote:
>    - The ecosystem of EE libraries is a mess. There are
>      extensible-effects, freer, freer-effects, freer-simple, and others.
>      As far as I can tell, extensible-effects is based on free monads,
>      and freer and freer-effects are both unmaintained.

extensible-effects is also based on freer monads. One advantage over
freer-simple and other libraries is that it includes monad-control
instances for most used effects, allowing to mostly painlessly use
things like forkIO. The limitations of monad-control apply though.

Huge disclaimer: I'm one of the contributors to extensible-effects.