[Haskell-cafe] Testing of GHC extensions & optimizations

Rodrigo Stevaux roehst at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 01:40:19 UTC 2018

Thanks for the clarification.

What I am hinting at is, the Csmith project caught many bugs in C compilers
by using random testing -- feeding random programs and testing if the
optimizations preserved program behavior.

Haskell, having tens of optimizations, could be a potential application of
the same technique.

I have no familiarity with the GHC or with any compilers in general; I am
just looking for something to study.

My questions in its most direct form is, as in your view, could GHC
optimizations hide bugs that could be potentially be revealed by exploring
program spaces?