[Haskell-cafe] Get number of fields for non-record ADTs using Data type class?

Li-yao Xia lysxia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 21:52:31 UTC 2018

On 10/29/18 4:42 PM, Artem Pelenitsyn wrote:
> I don't think there is a point in looking for
> GHC.Generics-based solution, as Data.Data is the exact match for this
> kind of problem.

Although GHC.Generics has its shortcomings (usage complexity and compile
times), I still find it worthwhile to advocate as a statically-typed
alternative to the dynamically-typed Data.Data for many problems,
including this one.

Using the one-liner library (which is built around GHC.Generics), the
equivalent line of code is:

     getSum . gfoldMap @AnyType (const 1) :: T -> Int

Data.Data is more visible mainly because it comes with a lot of
functionality baked into the standard library, whereas GHC.Generics
provides only a minimal interface and we have to find everything else in
separate packages. However, there is no fundamental reason why one is a
better fit than the other for the task of counting constructor fields.

Li-yao