[Haskell-cafe] Well typed OS

Ionuț G. Stan ionut.g.stan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 10:41:33 UTC 2018

The JVM is also doing something similar. There's a step in the process
of loading the .class files called "bytecode verification". Ιt's
basically a type checker for the stack language used in the bytecode.

This was problematic in Java before version 7, because it was possible
to cause denial-of-service attacks by sending malicious bytecode
payloads. The verifier would spend O(n^2) time verifying that the
bytecode behaves correctly.

As of Java 7, compilers are required to add additional info alongside
the bytecode instructions. This extra info is called a stackmap table
and allows the verifier to complete its verification in O(n) steps,
IIRC. So, a certain instantiation of PPC is already used in the wild.

Ionuț G. Stan  |  http://igstan.ro  |  http://bucharestfp.ro