[Haskell-cafe] haddock (on hackage/stackage) missing references to external libraries

Johannes Waldmann johannes.waldmann at htwk-leipzig.de
Tue Nov 27 20:18:36 UTC 2018

Dear Cafe,

it seems that haddock (as used on hackage)
does not link to identifiers from other packages
(neither in HTML nor in hyperlinked source).

This hurts, especially if a project has several packages
that are meant to be used together, but are split
for others reasons (modularity, maintenance).

Example: This index has an entry for "bpf",
with a non-linked module name Csound.Base:
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/csound-expression-5.3.2/docs/doc-index-B.html

The reason is (I think) that "bpf" is defined elsewhere,
but re-exported, and "elsewhere" is in a different package.

It is very hard to find the name of this package!
(in this case, csound-expression-opcodes)

Of course, in no way is this a complaint about Anton's
csound-* project. I use it in teaching, and I wonder
how could we make documentation more accessible -
without extra manual work.

Now, :doc of ghc-8.6 works, and :info  helps somewhat:
:info bpf ...
  	-- Defined in ‘Csound.Typed.Opcode.SignalGenerators’
but it still does not show the name of the package.
But at least we know the name of the module to look for.

- J.W.