[Haskell-cafe] Help understanding this type

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Thu Nov 8 03:42:48 UTC 2018

Normally phantom types do add type safety.

But Ptr provides castPtr :: Ptr
<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.10.1.0/docs/Foreign-Ptr.html#t:Ptr>
-> Pt
<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.10.1.0/docs/Foreign-Ptr.html#t:Ptr>r
b, which throws type safety out the window.

Newtype is applied to ameliorate the situation, but I don't see how to make
type safety airtight, do you?

--
-- Kim-Ee