[Haskell-cafe] Help understanding this type

Guru Devanla gurudev.devanla at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 13:20:16 UTC 2018

Thank you all for the responses, After reading through the responses, it
became clear that this is a commonly pattern used in Haskell FFI
programming.

I went back and reviewed the chapter in RWH. There is a discussion on this
pattern, under 'Typed Pointers'.
http://book.realworldhaskell.org/read/interfacing-with-c-the-ffi.html

Which means similar to the type listed in the chapter

newtype PCRE = PCRE (Ptr PCRE)

The example I provided reduces to:
newtype XEvent = XEvent (Ptr XEvent). --  a recursive newtype that
cannot be dereferenced

In summary:

1. This pattern can be use to specify the types just for type-checking
within Haskell. They do not contain any data. Therefore, not data can
be cerated for XEvent.
2.  Data can be created for type `Ptr XEvent` using the `alloca`
interface, and only way to de-reference these values would be through
`peek`. But, while derefencing the resulting values will have other
types.

Next, I plan to spend some time working on these examples to get a better sense.

Thank you all!