[Haskell-cafe] haskell in the cloud

Johann Gonzalez dymanic at gmail.com
Wed May 23 22:14:51 UTC 2018

Hello!,

You could also try Google Cloud's n1-ultramem-160 [1] , with 160 vcpus and
3800GB RAM.
As you can only need to run it for a short time it can be a preemptible
instance that goes for $5.3 per hour, with per second billing[2]

[1]https://cloud.google.com/compute/pricing#megamem
[2]https://cloud.google.com/compute/pricing#machinetype

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 5:59 PM, Dennis Raddle <dennis.raddle at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks, everyone.
>
> Billing by the second is good. Billing by the hour is not going to work
> (that seems to be the Scaleway model).
>
> When I asked this question a while back, I was told that there is a cloud
> service specifically for Haskell programs. Just wondering if that might be
> a good fit for me.
>
> I probably would benefit the most by running on multiple machines. I'd
> like to have them coordinate with each other... i.e. one main controller
> program will initiate and run other programs for a few seconds, then
> collect the results and start another run.
>
> What's the simplest Haskell library to get this going? Cloud Haskell?

> On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 1:24 PM, David Reaver <johndreaver at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Amazon Web Services has a x1.32xlarge EC2 instance with 128 CPU cores and
>> just under 2000 GiB of RAM for about $13 per hour. AWS actually has
>> per-second billing (with a 1 minute minimum) since late last year.
>>
>> They have lots of other options as well of course. Here is their pricing
>> page: https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/on-demand/
>>
>> On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 2:51 AM, Dennis Raddle <dennis.raddle at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a CPU-intensive Haskell application. I have it working with
>>> simple multi-core concurrency. I'm wondering if I can run this on a cloud
>>> virtual machine with 128 cores or so, paying by the CPU minute. I'll run it
>>> for maybe 15 minutes a day so I'm probably best off paying just for the CPU
>>> used.
>>>
>>> What platform would be recommended? For ease of use? For best
>>> price/performance?
>>>
>>> It's a backtracking optimization algorithm that builds data, one element
>>> at a time. It's not hard at all to make it concurrent: at the first 3 or so
>>> levels of element choices would be about 100 to 500 combinations. Even if
>>> the simplest method of running concurrent Haskell on multiple cores doesn't
>>> work, I could just divide these first cases into batches and run them on
>>> individual machines.

>>> Only members subscribed via the mailman list are allowed to post.

Johan Gonzalez
Devops/IT Manager
<https://www.youracclaim.com/badges/db893bbe-c734-413b-9779-4186209d2074/public_url>