[Haskell-cafe] hiring PureScript coder

Dennis Raddle dennis.raddle at gmail.com
Wed May 16 19:56:57 UTC 2018

Hi Michael,

Here's my reasoning. Note that I'm not an expert on any of this.

I'm choosing Purescript over Elm (or Reflex) because it has been described
to me as a fuller implementation of functional programming, in particular
Elm lacks type classes.

I'm choosing React because I've been told by several people it's the best
way to create a Javascript application that can be packaged for mobile or
i.e. a self-contained app.

I don't have many more reasons than that.

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:26 PM, Michael Litchard <michael at schmong.org>
wrote:

> May I ask why you would choose Purescript over Reflex?
>

> On Wednesday, May 16, 2018, Alfred Matthews <asm13243546 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Dennis,
>>
>> Have you tried estimating this carefully in one week sprints or numbered
>> milestones, and attaching an estimated effort,
>>
>> cost, or, budget, to each?
>>
>> Don't go reading The Lean Startup ir anything, simply plot it out in
>> JIRA, Pivotal Tracker, etc.
>>
>> GitHub also has some of these tools.
>>
>> Alfred Matthews
>>
>> asm13243546 at gmail.com
>>
>> On Wed, May 16, 2018, 2:26 AM Dennis Raddle <dennis.raddle at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I'm have many years of Python/C++ programming experience professionally,
>>> and I've used Haskell in my hobbies. But I'm now working full time as a
>>> math tutor. Every day I get ideas for a web app that could help me teach
>>> math, and maybe could eventually be for sale in the app store.
>>>
>>> I'd like to write version 0.1 of this in PureScript. And because I have
>>> more money than time at this point, I'd like to hire someone to get me
>>> started. I'm thinking of asking for the following:
>>>
>>> - set up a PureScript project that integrates with React
>>>
>>> - write code that demonstrates using the kinds of features I'll need,
>>> like React features, the HTML5 canvas, and JavaScript math notation
>>> libraries.
>>>
>>> - be available for a couple of Skype or Hangouts meetings as I look over
>>> this and have questions
>>>
>>> Can I get some suggestions as to where to find willing PureScript
>>> programmers, and a ballpark number of hours for this? I mean just an order
>>> of magnitude... is this closer to 5 hours, 10 hours, or 50 hours?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> D