[Haskell-cafe] template haskell library for OO-like selector syntax?

Mig Mit migmit at gmail.com
Tue May 15 14:27:49 UTC 2018

Dennis probably means that when in imperative language you'd write

employee.department.manager.salary += 1000

in vanilla Haskell it would be like

newSalary = employee.department.manager.salary + 1000
newManager = employee.department.manager {salary = newSalary}
newDepartment = employee.department {manager = newManager}
newEmployee = employee {department = newDepartment}

Lazyness have nothing to do with it. This is actually where lenses usually come in, although I'd argue that the data should rather be restructured.