[Haskell-cafe] template haskell library for OO-like selector syntax?

Dennis Raddle dennis.raddle at gmail.com
Tue May 15 00:41:24 UTC 2018

In my current application, I'm really missing the ability from OO to do
things like

someData.field1.field2 = "foo"

What's do I mean?

- field selectors are scoped so that names don't clash with each other or
global names

- this way of selecting data can be used both for reading it, and for
updating specific fields of some data deep in a data hierarchy (In Haskell,
if using immutable data, this would requiring doing a data update on every
level).

Any attempt to do this in Haskell, for me anyway, results in an explosion
of names and a lot of boilerplate code and a resulting heavy syntax.

Is there a way of obtaining OO-like concise syntax, perhaps with Template
Haskell?

Dennis