[Haskell-cafe] What is your favourite Haskell "aha" moment?

amindfv at gmail.com amindfv at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 17:37:36 UTC 2018

After a chat with a genomics Ph.D student, a couple of small ideas (and I'd also like to +1 Takenobu's suggestions):

  - Purity and laziness allowing the separation of producer and consumer for an arbitrary data model. For example, if you've got a function "legalNextMoves :: ChessBoard -> [ChessBoard]", you can easily construct an efficient tree of all possible chess games, "allGames :: Tree ChessBoard" and write different consumer functions to traverse the tree separately -- and walking the infinite tree is as simple as pattern-matching.

  - Large-scale refactoring with types: this is a huge selling point for Haskell in general, including at my job. The ability to have a codebase which defines

data Shape
   = Circle Double
   | Square Double

area :: Shape -> Double
area = \case
   Circle r -> pi * r ^ 2
   Square w -> w ^ 2

...and simply change the type to...

data Shape
   = Circle Double
   | Square Double
   | Rectangle Double Double

...and have GHC tell us with certainty every place where we've forgotten about the Rectangle case is a fantastic, fantastic benefit of Haskell in large codebases.

Tom