[Haskell-cafe] Investing in languages (Was: What isyourfavouriteHaskell "aha" moment?)

Alexey Raga alexey.raga at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 11:24:25 UTC 2018

I actually lost interest, because you are kind of trying to tell me that
because of your lack of _familiarity_ with monads, _my_ benefits do not
count. I cannot agree with this statement and with this approach.

But since there were questions, I'll answer and do some small clarification.

> I asked because never tried Eta. So, if you are right, seems no reasons
to develop Eta...
I am not sure why you are bringing Eta as an example to this discussion
just to point later that you have no experience with it.
The point of Eta is to run Haskell on JVM. Haskell as of GHC, and not some
hypothetical hybrid language (that would be Scala). If you want a decent
language, and you must run on JVM then you use Eta. If you don't need to
run on JVM - you don't use Eta.

> No better definition then original:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/fsharp/language-reference/computation-expressions
You see, they are different.
Now it is your turn to read this link. The second sentence on that link
says:
"They can be used to provide a convenient syntax for *monads*, a functional
programming feature that can be used to manage data, control, and side
effects in functional programs."
The emphasis on _monads_ isn't mine, it is original. The computation
expressions are _monadic_ (when they obey laws, but that link doesn't say
anything about laws, unfortunately).

> Something like this:   user?.Phone?.Company?.Name??"missing";     ?
Still no.

> It does not force you to isolate state change in one place with explicit
control, it only
marks place where it happens.

processAttack :: (MonadState s m, HasBpsCounters s) => Attack -> m Result

No benefits for you, tons of benefits for me: I guarantee that this
function can only be called if there is access to some BPS counters. I
guarantee that this function, and whatever if uses inside itself, can never
touch or even look at anything else in my state. I can guarantee that it
doesn't cause any other effects like it doesn't call something which calls
something which prints to console or writes to DB. And that if during code
evolution/refactoring someone does something like that, then it won't
compile.

> If I add “print” for debug purpose in some subroutines, will they become
buggy? No.
Then you add this code inside a transaction and voila - yes, you do have a
bug.
In fact, my colleague who used to work at Nasdaq, had a story about exactly
this: Once upon a time there was a beautiful code that lived in a
transaction. Then someone accidentally introduced a side effect to one of
the functions. This function was called from something within that
transaction. The bug was noticed after some time when it has done some
damage.
In Haskell, you can't do IO in STM, so that wouldn't be possible.

> Haskell also does not guard you to mutate this state anywhere in the
application.
I think my example above proves otherwise: in Haskell, I can granularly
control who can update which part of the state, which makes your statement
invalid.

> monads have value, but it's small ... their value in other languages is
super-small
Again, a VERY bold statement I have to disagree with, once again.
F# workflows are monadic, C# LINQ is precisely modelled by E. Meijer as a
list monad. They add great value.

With this, I rest my case, thanks for the discussion.

Regards,
Alexey.