[Haskell-cafe] Investing in languages (Was: What is your favourite Haskell "aha" moment?)

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Thu Jul 12 20:03:25 UTC 2018

Am 12.07.2018 um 19:50 schrieb J. Garrett Morris:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 1:24 AM Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
>>> Maybe that's why Java replaced Haskell in some universities
>>> curricula
>>
>> The considerations are marketable skills.
>
> That's certainly a consideration.  I doubt it weighs particularly
> heavy on the departments at Austin, Berkeley, or MIT however.  Their
> graduates will be plenty marketable regardless of the languages they
> see most as undergraduates.

Yes, but 90% of universities are not elite, and since these educate 90%
of the students, we still end with a prevalence of marketable
programming language skills.

Not that I'm criticizing this. Not too strongly anyway; there are
positive and negative aspects to this.

(Thanks for the rest, leaving it out because I have nothing of value to
add, not because I disagree.)