[Haskell-cafe] if-then without -else?

Paul aquagnu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 19:37:30 UTC 2018

If-without-else implies “empty-else”. It’s possible in monad context in “return ()” form. There are “when”, “unless” functions already. But in pure context “empty-else” can not imply empty result for “else” branch (what value should be used in “else” branch?). Empty-if exists in most languages in statements, i.e. under “IO a”, but not in expressions, so “a ? x : y” in C/C++, “x if a else y” in Python needs “else” branch. Non-exhaustive case is like “if ... then ... else undefined” IMHO.