[Haskell-cafe] functions making their own memos

Greg Horn gregmainland at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 11:15:51 UTC 2018

What about something like:

import Data.IORef ( IORef, newIORef, readIORef, writeIORef )

newCounter :: IO (IO Int)
newCounter = do
  counterRef <- newIORef 0 :: IO (IORef Int)
  let getCount :: IO Int
      getCount = do
        count <- readIORef counterRef
        writeIORef counterRef (count + 1)
        return count
  return getCount

The user calls this function which creates the cache and returns the
stateful function. You can use MVars instead of IORefs if you want it to
work concurrently.