[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.3 released

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Thu Jul 5 23:21:22 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 09:32:31AM -0400, Ben Gamari wrote:

> > While there's no binary distribution for FreeBSD at haskell.org,
> > as of June 30 there's a FreeBSD ghc-8.4.3 port.
> >
> >     https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/lang/ghc/Makefile?view=log
>
> Ahh, great! Thanks for doing this. I'll try to replicate this while
> doing the builds for 8.6.

For the record, in case anyone gets the wrong impression, I am not
one of the port maintainers (who deserve the credit for creating
the port).  I'm just a happy user of the port, which was upgraded
from 8.4.2 to 8.4.3 on Jun 30th.  No issues with either version on
FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p10.

My meagre contribution amounts to reporting success with:

	# cd /usr/ports/lang/ghc
	# make config
	# make package
	# pkg install work/pkg/ghc-8.4.3.txz

The "make config" options include:

    BOOT     Use installed GHC for bootstrapping

which speeds up upgrade builds.

--
	Viktor.