[Haskell-cafe] What's the story behind "applicative" in "Constant Applicative Form"?

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 22:18:49 UTC 2018

Hi Sonne

Circa the 1970s and 80s "applicative" was often used in the UK as a
synonym for functional, and its coinage dates back to at least
Landin's "The Next 700 Programming Languages" paper (1966). I wouldn't
bet against "applicative form" being the same thing as "applicative
expressions" in Landin's paper, though I have to confess this section
goes over my head.

I thought I'd read that researchers in the 70s and 80s preferred the
term "applicative" over "functional" because "functional" can also be
a synonym for "working" (rather than "not-working"), but I'm not sure
how how much currency "functional" actually had in those days.

I suspect "constant non-applicative form" is a misnomer - I would
guess the opposite of "CAF" would be "non-constant applicative form".

Best wishes

Stephen