[Haskell-cafe] ANN: containers-0.5.11.0
david.feuer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 20:19:50 UTC 2018
We have just released containers version 0.5.11.0. This is the first
release since Matt Renaud joined the maintenance team. Matt has
focused on documentation, code quality, and testing, and made some
substantial contributions in these areas.
This release comes with quite a few new functions and instances,
written by quite a few different contributors. It also includes a
complete overhaul of the sorting machinery in Data.Sequence thanks to
Donnacha Oisín Kidney. And Matt Renaud has launched a brand new set of
tutorial documentation at
Many thanks to all the contributors who made this release possible!
The complete changelog can be found below.
New functions and class instances
* Add a `MonadFix` instance for `Data.Sequence`.
* Add a `MonadFix` instance for `Data.Tree`.
* Add `powerSet`, `cartesianProduct`, and `disjointUnion` for
`Data.Set`. (Thanks, Edward Kmett.)
* Add `disjoint` for `Data.Set` and `Data.IntSet`. (Thanks, Víctor López Juan.)
* Add `lookupMin` and `lookupMax` to `Data.IntMap`. (Thanks, bwroga.)
* Add `unzip` and `unzipWith` to `Data.Sequence`. Make unzipping
build its results in lockstep to avoid certain space leaks.
* Add carefully optimized implementations of `sortOn` and `unstableSortOn`
to `Data.Sequence`. (Thanks, Donnacha Oisín Kidney.)
Changes to existing functions and features
* Make `Data.Sequence.replicateM` a synonym for `replicateA`
for post-AMP `base`.
* Rewrite the `IsString` instance head for sequences, improving compatibility
with the list instance and also improving type inference. We used to have
instance IsString (Seq Char)
Now we commit more eagerly with
instance a ~ Char => IsString (Seq a)
* Make `>>=` for `Data.Tree` strict in the result of its second argument;
being too lazy here is almost useless, and violates one of the monad identity
laws. Specifically, `return () >>= \_ -> undefined` should always be
`undefined`, but this was not the case.
* Harmonize laziness details for `minView` and `maxView` between
`Data.IntMap` and `Data.Map`.
* Speed up both stable and unstable sorting for `Data.Sequence`
(Thanks, Donnacha Oisín Kidney.)
* Update for recent and upcoming GHC and Cabal versions (Thanks, Herbert
Valerio Reidel, Simon Jakobi, and Ryan Scott.)
* Improve external and internal documentation (Thanks, Oleg Grenrus
and Benjamin Hodgson.)
* Add tutorial-style documentation.
* Add Haddock `@since` annotations for changes made since version
0.5.4 (Thanks, Simon Jakobi.)
* Add a (very incomplete) test suite for `Data.Tree`.
* Add structural validity checks to the test suites for `Data.IntMap`
and `Data.IntSet` (Thanks to Joachim Breitner for catching an error
in a first draft.)
More information about the Haskell-Cafe