[Haskell-cafe] A small milestone

Neil Mayhew neil_mayhew at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 19 21:14:27 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-18 07:16 PM, Henk-Jan van Tuyl wrote:
> Congratulations and thanks for all the work on the beautiful language
> I have been studying and using the last fifteen years.

I would like to echo that. I would also like to thank you, Simon, for
your courteous, positive, humble and cooperative attitude that has set
the tone for our whole community.

I had been programming for over thirty years when I discovered Haskell,
and through it functional programming, in 2008. It was a complete
revelation to me, and I've not looked back. I now don't want to work in
any other language if I can possibly help it. I think Haskell hits a
sweet spot of expressiveness, safety and performance that is unmatched
among mainstream languages. I've experimented with some other functional
languages, and I think Haskell stands head and shoulders above them all.

Happy Birthday, Simon :-)

—Neil