[Haskell-cafe] Versioning of libraries bundled with GHC pre-releases

Oleg Grenrus oleg.grenrus at iki.fi
Tue Jan 16 20:14:22 UTC 2018

Hi Ben,

Note that PVP dictates to do _major_ bump every time a breaking changes
is introduced:

1. Breaking change. If any entity was removed, or the types of any
entities or the definitions of datatypes or classes were changed, or
orphan instances were added or any instances were removed, then the
new A.B MUST be greater than the previous A.B.

This means that first alpha-release for e.g. GHC-8.4.1/base-4.11.0.0 or
GHC-8.6.1/base-4.12.0.0 will force to freeze both GHC and base.

For example "Make the Div and Mod type families `infixl 7`" commit
https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/fdfaa56b04b2cefb86e4dc557b1d163fd2e062dc
is a breaking change. OTOH it's pity not to fix new feature before it's
officially released.

I cannot judge how much ghc-the-lib public API changes.

TL;DR first alpha release is too early to do "PVP dictated freeze".

I think that we need *staging* (mutable) package repository, where
package authors can upload packages using lighter release procedure.
Let's keep Hackage to high standards, and test in a staging environment,
not the production one.

- Oleg