[Haskell-cafe] Internships at Microsoft Research Cambridge

Siddharth Bhat siddu.druid at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 18:40:31 UTC 2018

Are bachelor level students allowed to apply? I have relevant experience in
compilers and HPC, and I'd love to work on GHC related things next year.
I'm an undergrad, however :)

Thanks,
Siddharth

On Thu 11 Jan, 2018, 22:42 Simon Peyton Jones via Haskell-Cafe, <
haskell-cafe at haskell.org> wrote:

> Happy New Year!
>
> Would anyone like to come to Microsoft Research Cambridge for an
> internship?
>
> For the first time, this year we have put together a* list of all the
> open internship slots
> <https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/opportunity/internships-msr-cambridge-uk/>*,
> with brief descriptions and closing dates.   This is in part due to our
> efforts to reach more people, and attract a broader, more diverse range of
> applicants.
>
> There are lots of projects on that page, but I’d like to highlight one
> group in particular.  I’m personally involved in a project with four intern
> slots, in which we are *using insights from functional programming got
> improve the experience of using spreadsheets* – the world’s most widely
> used functional programming languages.  This focus on end-user programming
> means that we need interns with wide interests and skills.  More details
> are below (copy/pasted from the web page).  *The application deadline is
> 31 January 2018*.  (NB: other slots have other deadlines.)
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon
>

> Functional programming and spreadsheets
>
> Supervisors: Simon Peyton Jones
> <https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/people/simonpj/>, Andy Gordon
> <https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/people/adg/>, Claudio Russo
> <https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/people/crusso/>, Neil Toronto, Advait
> Sarkar <https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/people/advait/>
>
> Start Date: June/July 2018
>
> Applications close January 31 2018
>
> Reference #: MSRC226
>
> We hope to hire four interns during 2018 with a focus on using insights
> from functional programming to improve the experience of using
> spreadsheets. The exact internship project will be chosen to fit the
> expertise of successful applicants, but we are interested in a broad range
> of areas including:
>
>    - Improving the experience of authoring formulae in a spreadsheet
>    - Compiling spreadsheets for faster execution
>    - Using insights from type systems to catch programming errors sooner
>    - Generalisation and program synthesis
>    - Demonstrating radical improvements in the range of applications that
>    can be tackled with spreadsheets.
>
> We are looking for *three* interns with programming-language expertise,
> and *one* with a strong background in HCI and user experience.
>
> You would be working with leaders in both functional programming (Andy
> Gordon, Simon Peyton Jones) and user experience (Advait Sarkar, Kenton
> O’Hara). There is a genuine possibility that your work could have
> real-world impact.
>
> By way of general background, you may want to read Simon Peyton Jones et
> al’s papers “A user-centred approach to functions in Excel
> <https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=944721>” and “Champagne Prototyping:
> [...]

Sending this from my phone, please excuse any typos!