[Haskell-cafe] PSA: `cabal update` command needs manual unsticking

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue Jan 2 09:52:37 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 11:47 AM, Sven Panne <svenpanne at gmail.com> wrote:

>> A recent update to hackage, which fixed up the 01-index.tar.gz file,
>> revealed a bug in existing versions of cabal-install, when index files
>> are cleaned up. This bug means that the `cabal update` command, which
>> updates the hackage index file, will fail silently and leave the old
>> file in place. It is easy to get things working again, but it requires
>> manual intervention. [...]
>

> Quick question: Are stack users affected, too, or only cabal users? I'm
> just asking because as a stack user you have ~/.stack/indices/Hackage/01-index.*
> files lying around, too...

Hey Sven,

Gershom sent me an email about this earlier, and I looked into it. As far
as I can tell, Stack is _not_ affected by this, since—although it uses the
same hackage-security library as cabal-install—it follows a different
codepath outside of hackage-security for downloading tarballs. I'm not 100%
certain Stack is immune, however, so if someone notices a problem, please
report it.

Michael