[Haskell-cafe] Type level variants

Shao Cheng astrohavoc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 15:12:55 UTC 2018

You can use DataKinds extension and define a singleton type for
ReadOnly/WriteOnly. The code roughly looks like:

data ReadWrite = ReadOnly | WriteOnly

newtype Conn (a :: ReadWrite) = ...

openConn :: MonadIO m => Sing a -> m (Conn a)

In the implementation of openConn you can pattern match on Sing a and
recover ReadOnly/WriteOnly both on term/type level. The singletons package
provide utilities to ease writing this style of code.